New Jersey Dad Admits To Killing 3-Year-Old Infant To Keep His Girlfriend
23-year-old David Creato Jr accepted his crime of killing his 3-year-old son named Brendan Creato because the kid was a hurdle in the romantic relationship he had with his girlfriend and he didn’t want a break-up.
The manslaughter occurred in the month of October back in 2015. On Wednesday, the dad pleaded guilty to one count of first-degree aggravated manslaughter in the death of his son, whose dead body was found in the woods near his home in Haddon Township, New Jersey.
The prosecutors said, “Creato stated under oath that he recklessly caused his son’s death under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life by depriving Brendan of oxygen on October 13, 2015.”
According to the deal made in court, the offender will have to serve prison for 10 years in a New Jersey state prison and is required to serve at least 8 years and six months before he is eligible for parole. His lawyer, Richard J. Fuschino Jr. said about the deal, “I am very satisfied. It was a fair offer that took into account the weaknesses of the case and the fact we had already gone to trial and the prosecution wasn’t able to prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.” He added, “It was the defendant’s decision to accept the deal and this to me seemed like a deal he was foolish not to take. I think he is relieved that he is not putting his family through another trial.”
- The reason for killing the baby was discussed in court as the dad killed his son to avoid a break up with his girlfriend because she didn’t like the baby. So, he cleared the path through manslaughter.
- The baby’s mother was also in court to testify. She told jurors that she communicated with Creato almost 30 days after the boy died and he allegedly told her that “maybe the spirits told [Brendan] to walk down to the woods.” He satisfied her by saying that the place where Brendan’s body was found was a “sacred, spiritual spot.”
- Creato did everything and made stories that could prove him innocent. He said his son opened the door by himself and went out of their house on the morning of the 13th of October 2015. Creato called 911 to report the boy missing at about 6 a.m. The dogs with the cops found Brendan’s pajama-clad body 3 hours later in a park that was near Creato’s home.
On Wednesday, Brendan’s mother and other relatives who attended the trial were also present in court for Creato’s plea.
A report shows that during Creato’s original trial, 10 jurors voted to convict in court, while 2 others believed there was reasonable doubt. 1 of the jurors who had voted to convict told about Creato’s plea, “It’s a very happy day right now. Justice has been served.”
His sentencing is scheduled for the 29th of September.
News Source: https://people.com/