What Are Traffic Violations?
New Jersey Traffic Violations Defense Lawyer
When you are stopped by a law enforcement official while you are driving, you may be cited for a traffic violation. There are many different types of traffic violations in New Jersey, and they carry a wide range of penalties depending upon the particular violation. Each type of New Jersey traffic violation will result in a specific number of points on your driver’s license, which can add up to result in a driver’s license suspension and other penalties.
If you have been cited for a traffic violation, you should know that you can fight the ticket. While many people assume it is easier to pay a fine for a traffic violation and move on, the costs of having a traffic violation on your record and points on your driver’s license can have consequences later on.
Depending upon the type of traffic violation, you could be facing criminal charges. If convicted, you will have a criminal record.
At The Law Office of Matthew V. Portella, LLC, we can defend against the traffic charges to help you avoid a monetary fine, damaging driver’s license points and other repercussions. Our experienced New Jersey traffic violation defense lawyer at our firm can speak with you today.
Common Types of Traffic Violations in New Jersey
New Jersey law lists many different traffic violations with which a motorist can be charged or cited in the state. Some types of traffic violations result in criminal charges, while others are citable offenses.
- Failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk;
- Driving through a safety zone;
- Driving on public or private property to avoid a traffic sign or signal;
- Improper passing;
- Wrong way on a one-way street;
- Failure to observe traffic lanes;
- Failure to yield to emergency vehicles;
- Reckless driving;
- Careless driving;
- Slow speed blocking traffic;
- Driving in an unsafe manner;
- Use of a handheld cellphone or electronic communication device while driving;
- Failure to stop at a traffic light;
- Improper turn at traffic light;
- Improper right or left turn;
- Improper u-turn;
- Improper passing of school bus;
- Failure to observe stop sign or yield sign;
- Driving on the suspended list;
- Driving without a license
- Failing to maintain liability insurance; and
- Racing on the highway.
These are just some examples of traffic violations in New Jersey. All of these traffic violations can result in anywhere from two to five points on a driver’s license. There are also laws specific to New Jersey traffic violations that occur on the New Jersey Turnpike, the Garden State Parkway, and the Atlantic City Expressway.
For example, on one of those routes, moving against traffic will result in two points on a driver’s license, unlawful use of the median strip will also result in two points on your license, and improper passing will result in four points on your driver’s license.
Contact a Traffic Violations Defense Attorney in New Jersey
Were you recently stopped and cited for a traffic violation? Whether you are facing criminal charges or a monetary fine and driver’s license points for a citable violation, you should seek assistance with your defense from a New Jersey traffic defense attorney.
Do not hesitate to contact the experienced lawyer at our firm to learn more about how we can help you. Contact the Law Office of Matthew V. Portella, LLC today for more information.